Friday, February 24, 2017

Book Subscription Box Guide


Subscription boxes are everywhere these days: you can subscribe to have your wardrobe picked out for you, get shaving supplies, or even a monthly supply of condoms if you’re an extremely popular person. But, as a reader, I’m most excited about book subscription boxes! What I like about boxes like this is that it feels like you’re opening a present, instead of just spending more money on books (even though in reality you’re spending money on books). Plus, sometimes the boxes have exclusive content or are personalized in some way. So I thought I’d share with you a few options, and give the run-down on ones that I’ve tried.



Book of the Month Club
Book of the Month Club is a monthly subscription for one hardcover book a month, plus special pricing for adding extra books to your shipment, so it’s not really a box in the traditional sense, but it can be depending on how many books you add on. They usually include one unique item every month that is branded BOTM and ties into their monthly theme. I’ve had this subscription for about six months. What I like about BOTM is that you get to pick your book, so there is no surprise book. I have trouble with surprise book boxes because half the time I’ve either read or already own the book and then I’m disappointed. With BOTM, the books are usually new releases or buzz-worthy books, so I usually haven’t read them yet, and they’re books that tend to have long hold lists at the library. BOTM also has really great customer service. One book delivery I received was water damaged due to a mega storm, and I e-mailed them about it. They e-mailed me back right away and sent out a replacement copy ASAP. I was very impressed with that, especially during the holiday season, to have such a fast turn around to help out a member. I guess the only negative is that the service auto-renews, so if you want to cancel you have to do it manually. Still, if you like reading new releases and award-winning books, this is a must-have subscription service!

YA Quarterly
Quarterly is a subscription service that features a ton of different boxes to choose from, and the YA fiction box is one option. When I subscribed, it was curated by Book Riot by I think now there is a guest curator every quarter. There is usually a theme with several books and bookish swag included that connects to that theme. This box is pricey but a good value if you like surprises, as the swag is usually really high-quality. When I subscribed, I got a book light that I use constantly. I think the latest incarnation tells you one of the books ahead of time so it’s not a complete surprise. I only stopped subscribing because I don’t read as much YA as I used to and I didn’t always get around to reading the books, but if you are a hardcore YA reader I would recommend this box.

Book Riot’s Book Mail
Book Mail is not a subscription, but a box that you order through their store. At $60, it’s pretty expensive, and usually has two books, some book swag, and a book mail exclusive item. There is a theme but the content is a complete surprise, unless you're buying boxes from previous months. The swag in these boxes is pretty great; I’ve gotten a library lending kit, socks, and custom pencils. However if you read a lot, especially books that Book Riot recommends, you may be let down by the books included. I’ve definitely already owned the books that I received and just ended up gifting them to a friend. The box is really cool, though, and they pick great books, but I wouldn’t recommend if you read enough that a surprise book just wouldn’t be necessary for your bookshelf.

Cratejoy
Cratejoy is one service I haven’t used yet because I’m completely overwhelmed by how many awesome boxes are available through this site. Book boxes are one of the main categories, and there are a ton that look amazing but I can’t commit to one yet! A few that are on my wishlist include the Nocturnal Reader’s Box, which features sci-fi and horror books and accessories, and Beaulitiful Reads, which has a romance theme. Cratejoy boxes range in price and length of subscription, so they’re a good gift option. As I said, I haven’t tried any Cratejoy boxes (yet), but if you know which ones to recommend, let me know and I’ll try them!

Ever After Box
Lastly, I thought I'd include a box that I just subscribed to, the Ever After Box. This box can be purchased monthly, for three months only, or can be an auto-renewing subscription that you pay for every three months. This box is also romance-centric, and includes several print books, ebook downloads, and fun bookish trinkets related to the monthly theme. It's a really good value for what you get. So far, I've received one box from the service and it was definitely well-done. You get a few useful pieces and some things that are just for fun. When you order the box, they ask for your t-shirt size so I'm hoping a shirt is included in one of my future boxes. Unfortunately, once again, I already owned (and read) one of the books that was included in the February box that I received. I may start collecting all these books I've gotten in subscription boxes and do a big book giveaway at some point.

That is all I have the knowledge I have so far in the realm of subscription boxes! I love that this trend has taken off, because it really is like getting a surprise present in the mail every month. I try to borrow books from the library rather than buy them wherever possible, but sometimes it's nice to just treat yourself and enjoy some bookish goodies.

Happy reading (and ordering)!

No comments:

Post a Comment