Saturday, May 6, 2017

Reading Challenge Check-In



Since we just passed the first quarter of 2017, it seems like a good time for a reading challenge check-in! 2017 has been an odd year so far, both reading-wise and just all around-everything-is falling-apart-wise. But anyway. Back to reading. I'm trying to read even more widely this year than last year, read more, and read authors I've never read before. I'm taking part in a few challenges, some of which have fallen a bit by the wayside, but I'm still feeling good because I've been reading what makes me happy and that's always the best approach to deciding what to read next, in my opinion. Now, on to my reading challenges!


Progress & Thoughts

Goodreads Reading Goal
Progress: 41/120 books

Around the Year in 52 Books
Progress: 16/52 books
How I'm Feeling About the Challenge: I'm learning to be less rigid with TBR lists and be more flexible with my reading choices. I'm doing better at tailoring the challenge to fit my reading moods rather than forcing myself to pick up books I wanted to read months ago when I planned the reading list but that aren't really doing it for me at the moment. I read quite a few books by new-to-me authors for this challenge, and that's always one of my favorite things about a reading challenge; discovering a new favorite book.

Historical Romance Challenge
Progress: 7/50 books
How I'm Feeling About the Challenge: Since I'm a bit late to the romance game, this challenge has been my chance to read some of the most well-loved historical romance writers and figure out what I enjoy most about the genre. So far, I'm so glad I picked up some Beverly Jenkins and that I've been reading more of Tessa Dare's work. I also like how easy it is to find the books I chose for the challenge through the library. This is like my fun, no-stress challenge.

Contemporary Romance Challenge
Progress: 5/20 books
How I'm Feeling About the Challenge: Speaking of a no-stress challenge, I had to actually chill out on reading some contemporary romance so I could get to other books on my TBR. But up next I want to read some Filipina contemporary romance authors, and will probably do a future posts about a few must-read Filipina authors.

Modern Mrs. Darcy Challenge
Progress: 2/12 books
How I'm Feeling About the Challenge: This is the challenge that I'm not really taking too seriously, as the challenge categories are mostly excuses for me to read books that I've owned for awhile but haven't read. Plus, it's the shortest list so I figure I can pick up the pace with this challenge a bit later in the year.

Moving Forward

I have no idea why I decided to try to read so many books this year! I guess because I look at the books I've tagged "to-read" on Goodreads and the list just keeps growing and growing. I just want to read them all! I'm definitely struggling with balancing work, my social life, taking care of myself, and making time for reading. I've set aside more time for exercise this year than I did in 2016 so that has cut in to my reading life a little bit. I have definitely been wanting to take a reading vacation and go someplace without any distractions and just read. Last spring I went to Napa for a weekend and read like 3 books; I need to do something like that soon! Otherwise, I'm going to be gentle with myself about my current challenge progress and not take it too seriously. Reading challenges are supposed to be fun, not an obligation, so I'm going to continue keeping it light.

Until next time, happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, so happy you are reading more historicals! Also Tessa Dare and Beverly Jenkins!! <3

    ReplyDelete