Monday, May 22, 2017

Why I Love Reading Backlist


Although the online bookish community is often focused on new releases or the latest volume of a series, I find that most of my favorite reads lately have been backlist titles. Backlist, as opposed to the frontlist, or new releases, are less recent titles and sometimes get a little left out when booknerds are discussing their TBR lists or reading wrap ups. They're not quite as shiny and new, and they've already been read and reviewed so often they get overlooked. I think this is a mistake; I love going back to the start of an established series and seeing where the characters came from, or picking up an early book by an author who only releases a novel once every five years or so. Below, a few of my reasons for reading backlist as well as some of my recent favorites that I'm newly discovering, even if they are only new to me.

Let's Go Backlist

1. They're easier to get a hold of

With many backlist books, they hype has died down and it is much easier to find a copy on the shelf of my local library, or in paperback on the shelves a bookshop. I don't have to worry about lengthy hold lists, or copies selling out due to some crazy demand after it blows up on the internet or something.

2. Paperbacks > Hardcover

Although hardcover books can be quite beautiful, and I admit that sometimes I will be a hardcover book partially for looks, I would much rather hold and read a paperback copy. They're easy to toss in my bag, they're lighter so I can carry a few at a time, and I don't have to worry about the dust jacket slipping around or getting bent. I love paperback books and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

3. You get to see how an author (and sometimes their characters) have evolved

I love reading an author's latest release, but there is also something to starting at the beginning and watching how their writing changes over the course of a few books or, if it is a series, how a cast of characters evolves over a long story arc. Plus, sometimes authors don't release books every year and they don't have a latest book to read, so picking up backlist titles is the only way to stick with that author's voice consistently.

4. I'm a rebel

When it comes to doing what everyone else is doing, I'm a bit of a brat and a rebel. If there is a new release of a series that everyone online is talking about, I'll usually pass on it until the fuss has died down. If everyone says they love a book, I may pick it up later and read it with the most enthusiastically critical and bitter eye known to man. To put it simply, I like to read what works for me, not necessarily what is being hyped and gushed about by other readers. I think it's because I'm an Aquarius.

5. More books to read

Reading backlist means you're expanding your TBR potential exponentially! If a series that came out like 10 years ago has that many books in it, then what an awesome time to start from book one. You have your next read lined up without having to even think about it! Not like my TBR list is wanting, but I love being able to discover an older series and find out that I'm in love with it and have a whole line of books to look forward to. Plus, if the series is complete, I won't be left waiting for a resolution at the end while the author is still writing it. It's a win-win, really.

Backlist Recommendations: Series


Lady Emily Mysteries by Tasha Alexander
First book originally published: 2009
Genre: Historical mystery

The Others series by Anne Bishop
First book originally published: 2013
Genre: Urban fantasy
All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness
First book originally published: 2011
Genre: Paranormal/Romance
Wallflowers series by Lisa Kleypas
First book originally published: 2004
Genre: Historical romance


Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin
First book originally published: 2010
Genre: High fantasy

Craft Sequence series by Max Gladstone
First book originally published: 2012
Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Hopefully those are a few backlist titles starting off some complete (and a few ongoing) series to add to your TBR. I love finding a well-established series to dive in to and binge read (as you'll see by my next reading wrap-up). I may pick a few standalone backlist titles to recommend in future posts. Until then, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment